Every 12 of December, thousands of people unite to celebrate the day of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The Virgin of Guadalupe is known as the queen of Mexico and empress of the Americas; yet, people from various cultures celebrate her special day. On the days leading up to her birthday, Dec 12, many people pilgrimage to the Basilica of Guadalupe located in Mexico City to show their admiration and appreciation for the Lady of Guadalupe. However, you don’t have to be in Mexico to join in the celebration, there are several of events happening right here in honor of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Below is a list of all the festivities occurring in Delaware in celebration of Lady Guadalupe.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Events, 2015
– 6:30 PM: St. Michael the Archangel, Georgetown: Rosary, Mass
Friday, December 11
– 6:30 PM: St. Paul, Wilmington: Rosary, Aztec Dance, 7:00 PM Mass, Fiesta
-7:00 PM: St. Joseph, Middletown: Rosary, Juan Diego play, Mañanitas
– 7:00 PM: Holy Angels, Newark: Candlelight procession beginning at Wendy’s, Rosary, Juan Diego play, Mass, Mañanitas
-7:30 PM: Our Lady of Guadalupe, Roxana: Mass & Fiesta
-7:30 PM: St. Michael the Archangel, Georgetown: Rosary, folkloric dancing, mass at 11:00 PM, manañitas at 12:00 AM.
– 8:00 PM: Holy Spirit, New Castle: Rosary, Procession, Dance of the Chinelos, Brisas de Guanajuato Band, 10:00 PM: Mass & Mañanitas con Nueva Era band.
-10:00 PM: Holy Rosary, Claymont: Juan Diego play, Mañanitas with mariachi
– 10:00 PM: Holy Cross, Dover: Rosary, Juan Diego play, Mañanitas
-10:00 PM: Our Lady of Fatima, New Castle: Rosary, Chinelos dance, mariachi, Mañanitas with band
-10:00 PM: Our Lady of Lourdes, Seaford: Rosary, Mass, Mañanitas
-10:00 PM: Ss. Peter & Paul, Easton: Mañanitas, Procession, 12:00 AM: Midnight Mass
-10:30 PM: St. John the Apostle, Milford: Rosary, Mass & Mañanitas
– 11:55 PM: St. Francis de Sales, Salisbury: Mass & Mañanitas
Saturday, December 12: Our Lady of Guadalupe
– 4:30 AM: St. Mary, Refuge of Sinners, Cambridge: Mañanitas
-5:30 AM: St. Catherine of Siena, Wilmington: Mañanitas
– 10:00 AM: St. John the Apostle, Milford: Mass & Fiesta
-11:00 AM Holy Cross, Dover: Mass, Procession, Fiesta
– 3:00 PM: St. Agnes, Rising Sun: Mass, Mañanitas with Banda Ilegales, Fiesta
-4:30 PM: St. Michael the Archangel, Georgetown: Misa y Fiesta
– 5:00 PM: Holy Spirit, New Castle: Fiesta
– 6:30 PM: Holy Name of Jesus, Pocomoke City: Mass & Fiesta
– 7:00 PM: Holy Angels, Newark: Mass & Fiesta
-7:00 PM: Holy Rosary, Claymont: Mass, Fiesta
– 7:00 PM: Our Lady of Fatima, New Castle: Mass, Juan Diego play,Fiesta, procession begins at Hampton/Lafayette Apartments at 5:30 PM
-7:00 PM: Our Lady of Lourdes, Seaford: Mass, Fiesta & Mañanitas
-7:00 PM: St. Dennis, Galena. Mass.
-7:00 PM: St. Mary, Refuge of Sinners, Cambridge: Mass
– 7:00 PM: St. Paul, Wilmington: Mass, Fiesta
Sunday, December 13: Our Lady of Guadalupe Masses
-10:30 AM: Procession commencing at Wal-Mart on Centerville Rd. to St. Catherine of Siena, Wilmington with mass at 12:30 PM
-2:00 PM: St. Joseph, Middletown with procession, reception
– 4:00 PM: Ss. Peter & Paul School, Easton: Fiesta with Mariachi Mañanitas
The Spanish word Mañanita means literally means “little morning.” Each year on the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Latinos serenade our Blessed Mother with hymns and prayers on what is said to be her birthday. They sing in a heartfelt way, “Good morning, Mary.” The Hispanic community cordially invites you to Mañanita celebrations at parishes throughout the Diocese. For further information, contact Br. Chris Posch, ofm, at 302-655-0518 or email@example.com.